Biological explanations of social cognition

Home Forums Exam queries (AQA A Psychology A level) Biological explanations of social cognition

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mike Cardwell 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

emmaa

Sorry to ask more questions but I’m really stuck and my exam is on tuesday so any help would be greatly appreciated!

If we got asked a questions ‘Describe and evaluate biological explanations of social cognition’ would it be considered partial performance to only talk about the MNS?

Hi Emma

I think the simple answer is no, you would not be penalised for partial performance provided you made it clear that you were using the MNS to explain different aspects of social cognition. In this way, you would be providing different ‘explanations’ of social cognition e.g. imitation, intention, language acquisition etc.using the MNS as an underlying construct.

Mike

emmaa

Thank you so much for your help!!
    Would it be considered two different explanations if I first explained that they originaly though ToM was part of a ToM module and support this explanation, and then go on to say how this was overshadowed by the discovery of the MNS as this explained a better biological basis for ToM?

Emma

Hi Emma

If you feel confident explaining ToM as a biological explanation for social cognition then yes, but otherwise I would stick to my suggestions in the previous response.

Good luck tomorrow

Mike

emmaa

oh okay, I havent actaully learned the language acquisition stuff! better get learning!

Emma

emmaa

Sorry to bother you again, if I did feel confident at explanaing ToM as a biological explanation and focused on ToMM and MNS, would that still be considered partial performance?

Emma

Hi Emma

No, that would be fine because you would then have two biological explanations of social cognition, ToM and MNS. Make sure you are considering ToM from a biological perspective if you take that path (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind#In_typically_developing_humans for a bit of biology to support this). Mind you, I think a question requiring more than one biological explanation extremely unlikely, but I have been known to be wrong!

Mike

emmaa

Hi,

Okay so I would first explain Theory of Mind in terms of the Theory of mind module and support it with Baron-Cohens study(shows its innate) and brain scanning which shows abnormal areas of the brain in autistic children co-incide with areas idenitfied in neurotypicals as involved in social cognition.

I would then go on to explain how this theory was overshadowed by the discovery of the MNS which could explain many apects of social cognition including language acquisition, ToM etc

would this be an okay essay plan?

Sorry to ask so many question! This is so much help thank you so much im glad I found this website!!

Emma

Hi Emma

Yes, very impressive! You sound like you know what you are talking about, so I’m sure you’ll do just fine.

Good luck

Mike

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.