Addiction chapter

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mike Cardwell 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

emmaa

Hi

I’m really sorry to bother you again but I was just wondering, for the ‘Psychology of Addictive Behaviours’ in some past papers they present a scenario and ask the student to identify vulnerability factors for e.g. smoking, will we still get credit if we identify the vulnerability factors(e.g. stress), and support with studies showing how this vulnerability factor increases the development of e.g gambling and so is likely to increase the development of the smoking addiction?

So basically if we dont have research support to show how the vulnerability factor increases the chance of the particulalr addiciton they identified, but have research supporing how it increases the chances of developing another addiction not in the scenario

Emma

Hi Emma

That’s an interesting question and I’m not sure I know the answer. My first thought would be that as a question on ‘vulnerability to addiction’ comes from a subsection of the specification that does not specify particular types of addiction, you would not be required to use studies that are specifically about e.g. smoking if that is the subject of the scenario used. However, common sense tells us that this may not be the case, and it could be argued that you are expected to use information from across the different subsections to answer any one particular question. Therefore I suspect that you would be required to use smoking specific research. The best suggestion that I can make would be to suggest that you to look at the marking scheme and Chief Examiner’s report for the example question that you mention, and see what they say there. You can find this information at:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/psychology/a-level/psychology-a-2180/past-papers-and-mark-schemes

Mike

emmaa

Hi

Once again thank you very much for your help! Yeah because Im worried that I wont have studies to support the vulnerability to the particular addiction they may use but would for other addictions! Also, in lots of the mark schemes they talk about the Bricker study, but I cant find this in any of my text books? Is it a really important study?

Thank you

Emma

Hi Emma

I have sent a copy of the Bricker study to your email address. No one study is more important than any other, so the ones you know from your textbook are every bit as appropriate.

Mike

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.